Thursday, 3 May 2012

Day 4 with a Guest Interview from Boofi Cooshi



I'm starting today with an interview from a great friend of mine who I have known since we sat together in Year 5 at school- whoa! She is the creator behind Boofi Cooshi, a talented lady making high quality cushions in beautiful prints and colours.

Tell us a little about yourself and your family.
I am a 45 year old mum of 2 girls – 17 & 16, and 1 boy who just turned 12.  We live on the Northern Beaches of Sydney and seem to spend a lot of time on or near water.  My husband loves to surf and the whole family loves waterskiing and boating.
What do you create?
I make outdoor cushions that are not only bold and beautiful but also practical.  I source my fabrics from the US but make them with love here in Oz.  They are all fade resistant, mould resistant, and water repellent.  They are all 60 x 70cm which make them ideal for outdoor seat backs.
Tell us a little of your story.
Before having my children I did a lot of secretarial work.  I always felt I had a creative side to me so decided to learn graphic design and desktop publishing which I then worked with creating pharmaceutical trade magazines and health flyers.  I was then a stay-at-home mum for years which I loved but at the same time completing a Diploma in Remedial Massage and ran a part-time massage business.  After recently resigning from my current job in school photography I have decided to concentrate more on my family whilst helping my husband in his businesss and keeping my creative flair alive by making my cushions.
What do you love about what you do?
I have a passion for colour and pretty designs.  Fabrics excite me.  It’s amazing how different colours make you feel.  Making cushions allows me to create with colour and share it with others.
 
How did you get your shop name Boofi Cooshi?
Can’t remember.  It came to me quite quickly – maybe over a glass of wine.  I love how it is a fun name as I don’t take life too seriously.
Apart from creating things what do you do?
Since I have left my job my brain is going crazy.  There are so many things I want to do.  Apart from living the simple life of family, coffees and drinks with friends, boating, and walking, I am now starting to  plan to do things I have been thinking about for a while.  First stop is a Photoshop course… next maybe a cooking course…. next….who knows!
What has influenced your style?
Definitely my beaches life style has influenced the fabrics I tend to choose.  My dream is to have a gorgeously quaint beach cottage….. ahhhh….but for the time being my cushions may be the first to live in one of these!
How do you balance your commitments?
Great question – I just sat down today  and wrote down everything that is important to me at the moment – then proceeded to write a day-to-day loose timetable on how I will fit it all into my week.  I think the trick is to get outside help for some of the menial tasks to free you up for what is really important to you.
What are your plans and dreams for the future?
My dreams are foremost to have a happy and healthy family and celebrate the family’s smallest achievements in big ways.  I tend not to have big plans, just small stepping stone achievements that guide me year-to-year.

Thanks Sue! You can check out her cushions here.

Now onto the new artwork I am releasing today- a family print but not mother and child, this one is called "Sisters". So that is Day 4 for 20 artworks 20 Days!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment